Installing replacement windows on your Tucson, AZ home is always a good idea. Replacement windows offer tons of great benefits for almost any home. For starters, they look great. Brand new replacement windows can boost your home’s style and overall appearance inside and out, which consequently increases your curb appeal and therefore the value of your home.
Replacement windows can also increase your home’s energy efficiency and lower your energy costs in a variety of ways including reducing or increasing solar heat transfer depending on the season or climate. If you’ve installed replacement windows, you obviously want them to be the best they can so you can enjoy these benefits for years to come.
Part of making sure your windows are the best they can be is making sure their window treatments, like shutters, are up to snuff. If you already have plantation shutters, you know how amazing they can be. But what do you do if your shutters need some new style or color? You can spruce them up with a new paint job. Follow these steps:
- Remove shutters and hardware – Don’t forget to label your shutters as you remove them to make sure you put them back on the right window when you’re done. Do the same for any and all hardware.
- Sand the shutters – Its best to remove old paint by sanding shutters with a fine grit sandpaper. This helps create a cleaner surface for the new paint. Don’t forget to wipe away dust and grit with a clean cloth after sanding to ensure you end up with a smooth paint job.
- Temporarily hang the shutters – Rehang the shutters using eyehooks and string, making sure they can swing freely. This will make it easier for you to paint the front and the back at the same time without having to wait for one side to dry.
- Prime the shutters – Applying a water-based primer before you paint is recommended to ensure a smoother finish with fewer drips. You can spray paint on the primer, but be sure to only spray in one direction, in a continuous motion. While spraying, open the louvers one way, and then be sure to open them the other way to get all sides. Repeat this for all shutters.
- Paint the shutters – Then you paint! Be sure the primer is fully dry, and spray the shutter paint on in the same method you used for the primer.
These 5 simple steps will have your shutters looking as good as new and will therefore further compliment and protect your fabulous new replacement windows.
Do you have more questions about painting, or about replacement windows in general? Olander’s Window Replacement is here to help. We have years of experience in the Tucson, AZ replacement window industry, and are ready and waiting to give you the expert advice and service you need to choose and maintain the best windows for your home. Please visit us at 4141 E Speedway Blvd, Tucson, AZ 85712, or give us a call at (520) 326-2909.